Renowned Nigerian singer Banky Wellington, professionally known as Banky W, has taken to social media to address the recent decision by the tribunal to nullify the election victory of LP candidate Thaddeus Atta.
The National Assembly Elections Petition Tribunal, which convened in Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos State, has declared the election of Thaddeus Atta from the Labour Party as the representative for Eti Osa Federal Constituency invalid.
In a late-night ruling delivered on Monday, the tribunal determined that the elections were inconclusive and directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct a supplementary election within 90 days in polling units where voting did not take place.
Bankole Wellington, popularly known as Banky W, who ran under the Peoples Democratic Party and was declared the runner-up in the February 2023 election, along with Ibrahim Babajide Obanikoro of the All Progressives Congress, had both filed petitions contesting the election results.
To recall, the electoral commission announced Atta as the winner with 24,075 votes, while Banky W and Obanikoro received 18,668 and 16,901 votes respectively.
In response to this recent development, Banky W took to his Twitter page, now known as the X platform, to express optimism, suggesting that it is still possible for him to emerge victorious.
He stated, “It is possible. Still.”
Please find below some reactions to Banky W’s post:
- Inftasanguine: But I mean come on . This guy wasn’t thoughtfully voted in. The populace wanted Banky W
- Olaadedayodutch: If you have the opportunity to leave that country, please do because these biased judgments are prevalent. Consider relocating to a country with a functional system to avoid complications.
- Official_planbee: I told them 2 months ago, only Otti will remain an elected LP member when the court is done with them .
- I_am_sa_m: Before Tinubu finishes his eight years in office, he would make sure the Labour Party isn’t ruling anywhere. Labour Party is currently the biggest threat to APC.
- Empressinteriors1: I would have said that Nigeria’s entire judiciary system now operates on a “highest bidder” basis and is filled with greedy judges who bring shame to the legal profession/system. But I cannot, as I still hold respect for my country and its legal system.
- Chukaelvis: Banky, we all know you didn’t win. This is not God’s work. It’s just an unfortunate situation for the LP candidate who was favored. So, don’t rejoice in another person’s misfortune. Moreover, no one will come out to waste their precious time voting, as INEC and APC might eventually be declared the winners.