Married Everton footballer who was arrested on suspicion of child sex offences has his bail extended
An Everton footballer who was arrested on suspicion of child sex offences last summer has had his bail extended again.
The player, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, will next answer bail in July – 12 months after he was arrested by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and immediately suspended by the club.
He had previously had his bail extended by Greater Manchester Police three times.
After being arrested on Friday 16 July 2021, the footballer was out on police bail until October 19, 2021. This was extended to Sunday 16 January 2022, which in turn was extended to Wednesday 19 January.
It was then extended for a third time, until April 17 2022, Greater Manchester Police confirmed to Mirror Football in January. And a fresh statement has now revealed that date has been extended to July 16 as enquiries continue.
Greater Manchester Police said in a statement: “A 31-year-old man arrested on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences has had his bail extended after our application was approved by magistrates. He will now be asked to answer bail on Saturday 16 July as enquiries continue.”
The Premier League star was arrested last July after police raided his house. The player – who cannot be named for legal reasons – remains suspended by his club, who have been assisting the police with their investigation.
At the time of his arrest last year, Greater Manchester Police said: “Officers arrested a man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.
“He is on police bail pending further enquiries.”
Everton also released a statement, it read: “Everton can confirm it has suspended a player pending a police investigation.
“The Club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.”
Police have not yet charged the player with any offences.
Shortly after the arrest, a source told the Mirror : “This has caused a massive shock.
“Any suggestion of allegations of offences involving a child are rightly taken seriously from the point they are made.”
The insider added: “Clearly this matter must be fully investigated. Allegations of this nature will cause a considerable amount of alarm among everyone within the club, the fans, and the wider public.
“This is now a case of waiting to see where the investigation takes us.”
Written by admin