The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has turned down the recently sanctioned N25,000 quarterly accoutrement allowance provided by the federal government. Earlier this week, the government had announced the approval of the allowance for medical and dental doctors working in federal public service hospitals, medical centers, and clinics.
However, in response to this announcement, NARD’s President, Emeka Orji, stated on Saturday, July 29, that they would reject the offer. According to NARD, the allowance is considered meager and falls short of meeting their demands.
He said in a statement;
“We observed the paltry 25 per cent increment in the basic salary of doctors as contained in the circular released by the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission (NSIWC) in the wake of the strike, as well as the accouterment allowance.
“NEC has resolved to vehemently reject the paltry 25% increment in the basic salary of doctors as well as the accouterment allowance, adding that her earlier demand is for full restoration of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure to its right value as at the time of the approval of the structure in 2009.”
The association said it would continue the ongoing nationwide total and indefinite strike action until reasonable progress is made by the government to address its demands.